SAAMNE AA, A BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO INITIATIVE, LAUNCHED
6% DECLINE IN SEX RATIO CAUSE OF CONCERN: REETA GUPTA
SAAMNE AA TO BE SHOWN ACROSS MUMBAI THEATRES BY MCGM
India’s steeply dwindling child sex ratio among children under 6 years of age which reached an all-time low of 918 girls for every 1000 boys in 2011 from 976 in 1961 (RGI data)- a 6% decline in 40 years- is cause for concern, said Reeta Gupta at the launch of Saamne Aa, for the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Campaign of Ministry of Women and Child and the FWMCH department of MCGM.
“Saamne Aa”, is a song that speaks against son preference, and encourages us to raise our boys and girls as equals.
The song is sung by Sona Mohapatra and has special performances by Paresh Rawal and Swaroop Sampat. Composed by Siddharth Sharma, the song launched on 2nd August on Times Music and has already grossed more than 6 lac views.
Ace singer Sona Mohapatra says, “Saamne Aa has a simple tune. I have kept my rendition of it simple, so that the essence and meaning of the song emerge. I agreed to be part of this project because I am in line with its vision- to have a society where gender equality is the norm, not the exception.”
Speaking about Saamne Aa, Paresh Rawal, who is in Parliament session in Delhi, said, “This Government is trying to bring about a transformational shift in the way our society looks at the girl child. PM Modi’s Beti Bachao beti padhao is one of the finest initiatives towards that.”
K Moses Chalai, Joint Secretary of the Ministry of Women and Child adds, “ We are happy to support Reeta Gupta’s Saamne Aa Initiative, as it addresses the problems of both conscious and unconscious social bias against girl child.”
The Dy. Commissioner WCD, Rahul More presented the song to the audience at the World Trade Centre, a partner to Saamne Aa.
Saamne Aa is supported by Ms. Rupa Naik of the World Trade Centre, Raghav Podar of Podar World School, Dr.AL Sharada of Laadli, a population First NGO.
PS Keskar, the Executive Health Officer of the MCGM added, “ Our message is simple. Beta Beti Ek Saman, toh khushhaal hoga Hindustan. We are going to show Saamne Aa across many theatres in Mumbai.”
Also present were veteran IAS officer Chandra Iyengar, social worker Karon Shaiva and Dheeraj Gupta, MD of Jumboking.
Saamne Aa creator Reeta Gupta explains, “ we must not be vague about the issue of gender. We must have specific action points, such as
1. Celebrate the birth of the girl child in the family
2. Raise our sons and daughters as equals.
3. Encourage varied professions for our girls.
4. Educate those who are indulging in son preference; that a daughter is every bit as capable.
5. Don’t use words like para ya dhan and bojh while referring to girls.
6.Report any incidence of sex determination test.
7. Encourage boys to help you with the household chores and serve guests.
8. Keep weddings simple. Share wedding expenses equally between the girl’s and boy’s families
9. Provide safe environments, around us where sexist behavior is discouraged.
10. Write your will, divide your property equally between your son and your daughter.”